Friday, November 12, 2010

Contents:

While cleaning out my purse
For the first time in months
I find ...

A post-it note with a phone number
And a first name
That goes with a face I no longer remember

A paperclip
Good for holding things together
Unless it floats alone

One last cracker
Still in celo wrap
From a pack I opened
While waiting for
Another delayed lunch date

Perfume
A gift for my birthday
(But we won't discuss my age)
Several years ago
Back when gift-giving was still done

Two ticket stubs
From the last movie we saw together
And discussed until wee hours of morning
We disagreed on the ending
Whether it was right for the characters
How they had grown
And where they were in their lives
Should they have stayed together?
I said no
You said yes
And there was really no in-between

There rarely is
Really
For two who have grown so close.
How do you ungraft a tree
Without cutting it down?

No comments:

Post a Comment