Saturday, January 15, 2011

Profile

While looking through photos
Posted by a mutual friend
I saw you.
Not you, really,
But your name tagging your image
Among the smiling faces
From a reunion for the Class of …
It doesn’t matter.

Because when I saw your name,
All I saw
Was my middle school tormentor,
The one who knew my every weakness
And even created a few,
The one who named me after those weaknesses,
The one whose voice remained inside my head
To discourage me
Long after the end of the school day.

I have hardly thought of you
For years
Only if I happened to drive past your old house
On the way to mine.
And I feel certain
You would never remember me.
(You likely forgot about me
The moment you got off the bus
Each day.)

Curious
I found your profile
And was surprised.
I saw not a pimple-faced bully
But a man.
A husband, a father,
A successful entrepreneur,
A friend of many.
Photos of fishing trips,
Children, puppies, your new home, and date nights.
Lists of favorite things,
Some the same as mine.

I won’t request to be your friend.
But it’s nice to be reminded
That anyone can grow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment