Friday, July 8, 2011

Leave the Map Behind

I have a friend who is a lot of fun to be around.  He is spontaneous, always ready to try something new.  The one hindrance to this may be his poor sense of direction.  He can get around town all right, provided that he sticks to routes he already knows. But if he has to deviate from the planned course – say, for a road detour or a change of plans – he must stumble around and eventually stop to ask for directions.

This limits his spontaneous personality quite a bit.  If he takes a trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway, it must be mapped out for him.  There will be no side trips, no wandering down lonely roads.  He will have fun, but he’ll pray the whole time that he doesn’t take a wrong turn.  That’s a shame, really, because I have found that wrong turns give you a chance to see some special things that you miss when you keep your eyes only on the map and the road.  If you are simply looking for the next road sign, you’ll never look around at the scenery along the way.

Miles of trees close to the road suddenly opening to the majestic valley below.  The view of Pilot Mountain from a lonely road up north.  Christmas trees growing in Jefferson in a crazy quilt of grass and evergreen.  Snow melting on the banks of a creek.

Dogwoods and pear trees in full lacy bloom.  Daffodils and tulips looking regal in even the most humble garden.  Cows in the pasture, lying down in anticipation of the coming storm. 

Myrtle trees heavy with bright, fragrant blooms.  The big lazy dog relaxing under the tree, too relaxed to fool with chasing cars today.  The old couple sitting on their front porch.  How many afternoons have they spent together?

Then there are the humorous things that you may only see once in your life.  I once saw small building that housed only two stores – a pawn shop and a bridal boutique. Then there’s that little building shaped like a strawberry where I think they sell – of course – strawberry ice cream.  Numerous coffee houses with quirky names like Common Grounds or Bean There Done That.  And I think I found where old washing machines go to die – they stand together in a field on Highway 158 in western Warren County.

I have never been permanently lost.  If I get a little turned around, I don’t panic.  I figure that as long as I’m generally headed in the right direction, I will eventually get there.  So far, I have been correct.  And I always enjoy the trip, because I always see something new.

Plans for life are important.  Goals are important if you ever want to achieve anything.  But those who see only their goals often miss out on life happening all around them.  It makes for a fairly boring journey, if you ask me.

In my life, I sometimes feel the urge to cling to my map – schedules, plans, even certain people offer security along the way.  And sometimes I am only looking out for the next goal and the way to get there.  But if I stop and look around, set the plan aside when necessary, ignore the nagging schedule, take time to meet someone new . . . well, I find that I have a lot of fun and make some great memories. 

So some time this week, deviate from your course just a bit.  Have lunch with someone you don’t know very well.  Listen to a story told by an older person who has himself made more memories than you can imagine. Take a day off work and get reacquainted with your spouse.  Let the dishes soak in the sink while you hear about your daughter’s day at school.  Call a dear friend you haven’t spoken to for a long time – he’ll be glad to hear from you.  Or do something small, like taking a different, longer way home from work.  Don’t worry – you’ll make it home just fine.

When schedules and plans aren’t enough, a good sense of direction will keep you on track, and allow you to enjoy the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment