Saturday, December 11, 2010

Oasis (Psalm 122:1)

Long I have wandered
This desert
Wondering
How I even got here.
Alone. Lonely.
Searching for some sign of help
But eventually giving up,
Getting accustomed to the heat.

Off in the distance
I see it
(I feel it!):
Hope.
I make my way –
Stumbling in my hurry,
Face down in the sand –
To this sweet oasis.

The Master has been waiting
To welcome me.
“Come and be filled.”
Precious words of greeting.
I am grateful for this refuge
From harsh winds,
Hot sun, burning sand.

I fall on my face
Before the clear pool
And drink.
Living water
So sweet on my tongue
So cool going down
Plenty, enough.
I am filled.

I sit up, lean back
And rest.
The Master
Removes my shoes
To wash my hot, dusty feet.
I am refreshed and restored.

This oasis is always here.
I just had to leave it
To miss it
To truly appreciate it.
I had to wander the desert
And become thirsty enough
To remember how it feels
To drink deeply.

No comments:

Post a Comment