Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Things I Should Have Known

I never knew
The reason you were home
During Vietnam
While other boys your age
Were leaving the plains
Heading to the rivers
And jungles
To battle the unknown.
You were 4F,
Thanks to a childhood bout with pneumonia.

Seems I should have known
A detail like that.

Or,
How your parents met
Your first kiss
A favorite teacher
Your saddest moment –
Details that make you
The you I know

I think there are many
Little things
I have yet to hear
I have yet to share
That we both have meant to.
It can't all happen by phone
Even with the best of intentions
Nor should it.
These bits of history
Are best enjoyed
Not over the phone
But side by side
Over many a lazy afternoon
Rocking on the porch
As a breeze carries our words away.

Meanwhile,
We talk about the now
And barely fit that in.
I must remain not quite satisfied
Yearning for more
Until you can join me on the porch again.

No comments:

Post a Comment