Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Last of the Lilies

I hold in my hand
The last of the lilies
That colored my yard all summer.
They grow along the sideyard
Where his grandmother planted them
Years ago
Before we even met.
Inspired by their beauty
I planted more
In tribute to her.
Orange and yellow
Bright as the sun
In a cobalt vase,
Bringing light to my table
Set for company soon to arrive
And enjoy the flavors of my garden.
Another bunch of deep red
Stands on the table near the couch
Where he and I
Spend many hours together
Talking and laughing,
Working the Sunday crossword,
And dreaming
While a warm breeze comes through the window.
One pink lily
Sits in a mug by my bed
A gift for me that he picked himself
To tell me he loves me.
What to do
With the last of the lilies
That marks the end of summer.
I stand in the sun
And think,
Then finally choose to wear it in my hair
And feel loved
For the rest of this lovely day.

No comments:

Post a Comment