Thursday, April 28, 2011

Earthquake

It will take ten years
To rebuild after the damage
Of a few minutes,
The newsman said.

That sounds about right
From what I know of shake-ups.
My world was rocked
I was shaken to the core
And all hope spilled out
Like debris on the sidewalk
Of my life.
The structure
That had once seemed so safe
So secure
Wasn't.

And I'm still rebuilding
Using the debris to mend fences
Or build new ones.
(I'm not sure which.)
Sometimes it’s just easier
To throw a tarp over the emotion
Like a gaping hole
While I wait for another aftershock.

I suppose I should
Gather my few belongings
And move back in.
I just don't know if I can trust
Another dwelling made by man.

I can see
The foundation is still there.
We’ll rebuild from the inside out.
It may be the only way to restoration.


No comments:

Post a Comment