Saturday, May 21, 2011

New Shoes

As usual
It begins with something small
A word, a thought
A grain of worry
Like sand in my shoe.
                     
I keep walking
Going about my business
Going about the business
Of ignoring
This tiny thing.

And it works
For a while.
As long as I step carefully, I can fool myself into thinking
It's gone.

But soon enough
The sand becomes a pebble
That hurts with every step.
It reminds me that it's there.
Still,
I continue to ignore it,
Hoping it will go away.
Besides,
It's such a small thing.

By now,
This stone is cutting into me
Making every step a limp
That makes people turn to look at me
In pity.
All I think about is the pain.

The pain!
I have forgotten that this started
With a grain of sand
Or how it even got there in the first place.

I can walk no further.
Not one more step.

"Child.  Sit."
I obey.
He removes my shoes
                Worn from weary miles
                And the debris they have collected
                Over time.
He cleans my wounded feet,
Anoints them with love
And gives me new shoes:
Peace!
"Wear these every day."
With these shoes
I am prepared with peace,
Ready to walk
To run a mile
To dance all night.

I won't fret about pebbles or stones
Or tiny grains of worry.
I have other things to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment